Thie morning’s Coffee Morning is performed by a group of local musicians called Dimension5, comprising (clockwise from top left) the leader David Ng, drummer Jay, guitarist Lebius and vocal teacher/keyboardist Jocelyn Ong.
They are joined by the String Ensemble from the School of the Arts (SOTA) [two First Violinists – Ronan & Placida, two Second Violinists – Jia Qi & Justine, two Violists – Joshua & Mervyn, and Cellist Rachel], conducted by Mr Sumugu from Japan. This is the first time a string ensemble has played at a Monday Coffee Morning concert. And what a treat it is!
The band today has two backup singers – Rachel (not the cellist) and Hannah, who provide wonderful harmony throughout.
I had a grand time enjoying the unforgettable songs of the iconic artists which helped shape the sound of the ’60s:
- Things We Said Today (The Beatles)
- Eleanor Rigby (The Beatles)
- How Deep Is Your Love (Bee Gees)
- Yesterday (The Beatles)
- Fun, Fun, Fun (The Beach Boys)
- Surfin’ USA (The Beach Boys)
- Help Me, Ronda (The Beach Boys)
- Barbara Ann (The Beach Boys)
- Massachusettes (Bee Gees)
- Here, There and Everywhere (The Beatles)
- If I Trust In You (gospel)
- To Love Somebody (Bee Gees – Barry Gibb’s personal favourite)
- Don’t Worry, Baby (The Beach Boys)
- My Guitar Gently Weeps (The Beatles)
- Something (George Harrison/The Beatles)
- I Can Hear Music (The Beach Boys)
- Run To Me (Bee Gees)
I hope the String Ensemble from SOTA would make a more regular appearance. With my JOYears membership concession, this concert series is really good value for money!