I’ve been reading Rhapssody, a newsletter of the SSO Community Outreach Department for a long time, and the most recent issue contains some weird composer facts that I feel I must reproduce here:
- Arnold Schoenberg suffered from Triskaidekaphobia – a fear of the number 13. Interestingly, he was born on 13 September 1874, and also died on 13 July 1951.
- Ludwig Van Beethoven was said to be extremely picky about his coffee, and had to count out 60 coffee beans each time he had a cup.
- Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky and Camille Saint Saens were good friends with a similar talent – they both were able to pull off splendid imitations of ballerinas!
- Before any of his concerts as a pianist or conductor, Edvard Grieg would touch his lucky frog figurine he kept in his pocket for good luck.
- Erik Satie was known to eat food that was only white, such as eggs, sugar, salt, coconuts, rice, turnips, white cheese and certain kinds of fish.
I hope to read about more such weird facts in future issues!